Hi! My name is Gretchen and I live in St. Louis. I graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting in December 2012, with more than $100,000 of debt – a combination of student loans, credit cards, and auto loans.
I started this blog while pregnant with our daughter, after realizing that my husband and I had too many bills for one of us to stay home, and my husband made too little money to justify putting her in daycare.
We were between a rock and a hard place.
So I started reading personal finance blogs. I learned how to cut costs, pay attention to my budget, and give myself grace when I failed.
And it’s working!
We’re on track to not only become debt-free, but to develop enough passive income streams and save enough money that we can retire when we’re 40. In 2015, we’ve set a goal of raising our net worth by $30,000, and we’ve called it the #30k2015 Challenge. You can read more about that here.
At Retired by 40! we talk about money, frugal living, budgeting hurdles, travel and much, much more! I’m going to be completely transparent because this blog is my accountability. Knowing that you, my readers, are watching my every move forces me to confront my spending problems, find creative solutions, and alter my lifestyle!
I’m glad you asked! It’s several reasons, really.
- I want options – I love working and have no desire to quit my job, but I want to have the financial ability to walk away from my job if it no longer suited me.
- I want to travel – I did not grow up traveling, and so I have this yearning to see the world. i also want my daughter to be a well-traveled girl, and let ‘s be honest – traveling takes money, even when done frugally!
- I want to spend quality time with my daughter – not being tied down to my job means that if my job demands too many hours of me, I can walk away!
- I want my husband not to have to work – You can check out this post for more information, but suffice to say, I love having him stay home with our daughter. It gives me peace of mind, and allows his body to take a break!
I have since paid off my credit card debt, and continue to use credit card responsibly in order to reap the rewards! I pay off my balance every month and am always on the lookout for a new credit card with a big sign-on bonus!
I bought a house right after my first job out of college, and plan to rent it out when we move here in 4 or so years. It is my plan to develop 2 or 3 properties as a source of passive income to supplement our normal savings towards retiring by 40.
Together, The Big Guy & I love camping (seriously, it’s one of the frugal vacations you can imagine), weekends at the lake, and good food! Personally, I could care less about all of the food, but would settle for all the chocolate.
We’re talking money on a daily basis here and I’m going to be completely transparent with my finances. This includes my mistakes, and believe me, I make plenty!
What Topics Are You Interested In?
– Saving Money? Start Here
– Getting Out of Debt? Start Here
– Making Extra Money? Start Here
– Blog Income Reports? Start Here
Thanks for stopping by – it’s good to have you here! Explore my site, and if you have any questions, shoot me an email at admin(at)thecentsiblehome(dot)come