I just posted about things that I sacrifice every day to get out of debt – and eventually achieve Financial Independence. This type of post is kind of obligatory among personal finance bloggers, but I find that I really enjoy reading each and every one of them because it lets me get to know the bloggers whose blogs I love reading. So, if you like these like I do, read on!
1. Good Workout Bras: Ladies, you know what I mean…..Ya’ll know I’m trying to lose weight. I started P90X a few weeks ago, but after the first video I was like “Nope…I don’t care what it costs, I’m getting new workout bras.” Enough said. You will see the cost reflected in August’s Budget update, believe me!
2. Healthy Food: Again, I’m trying to lose weight, but more than that we have a growing little girl at home. That more than anything has spurred us to eat healthier. To us this means eating organic when possible, making use of the crockpot instead of buying premade meals (full of chemicals, fat, and sodium), and buying more fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables. Unfortunately, this stuff tends to go bad faster, and even though we try to minimize food waste it does happen. Couple this with the fact that organic foods are more expensive, and we have a higher food expensive each month.
3. Health Care: I promise I will write about this it at some point, but The Big Guy has health problems like sleep apnea, bad knees, and a couple of other things. Nothing is life-threatening, but ongoing treatment of his stuff can be really expensive. Luckily, we have excellent insurance that allowed us to pay $28 for prenantal and labor and & delivery for our daughter, but even small out of pocket costs add up. When you have CPAP supplies, presciptions, and a few doctor’s appointments a month, those small $3-$10 charges can get really expensive. But even so, I refuse to sacrifice on health care to get out of debt. It’s just not worth it.
4. Time with My Family: As it is, I spend 2-3 hours a night with my family. From 5pm when I get home from work until 7 (8 at the latest) when the kiddo goes down, I put away the phone, tablet, and laptop and focus on family. I could sacrifice that precious time and make more money with the blog, but it’s just not worth it. They deserve my attention more.
5. Sleep: This girl loooves her sleep. Just ask The Big Guy after a late night. I am a zombie. I could stay up until 1am every morning cranking out posts, doing SEO, and moderating comments, but it’s just not going to happen. My employer and my family deserve better.
Getting out of debt is not easy. We’ve been on this journey for about a year now, and it’s even harder now than when we first started out. I’m inclined to think that it won’t get easier for the next 3 years, either. But for me, it’s all about balance. I sacrifice many things to get out of debt, but I also have to be willing to spend money and time on things that you can’t really put a price on.
What 5 things will you NOT sacrifice to get out of debt, or achieve financial independence?
*This post may contain affiliate links
*Featured at Thrifty Thursday Week 77!
Linked up at:
Think Pink Sunday, Sunday Showcase, Happiness Is Handmade,Nifty Thrifty Sunday,That DIY Party, It’s Party Time, Sunday Showcase, Around Tuit, Mix It Up Monday, Creative Mondays, Bloggers Brag ,Made By You Monday ,Monday Pin It Party ,Motivate Me Monday ,Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop ,Monday Funday, Marvelous Monday ,Titus Tuesday ,Tuesdays at our home ,Tell Me About It Tuesday ,Tip Me Tuesday ,Tuesdays With A Twist ,The Inspiration Board ,Tutorial Tuesday ,Create Link Inspire ,Making a Home ,Something Fabulous Wednesday ,The Mommy Club ,Wow Me Wednesday ,Wake Up Wednesday, Adorned From Above Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday ,Your Whims Wednesday ,The Project Stash ,Whimsy Wednesday ,We Did It Wednesday ,Wednesday Round Up ,Wine’d Down Wednesday ,Inspire Me Wednesday ,Whatever Goes Wednesday ,Something Fabulous Wednesday ,Wow Me Wednesday ,The Pin Junkie ,What To Do Weekends, Inspiration Gallery, Artsy Corner, Inspire Us Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, That’s Fresh Friday, KitchenFun and Crafty, Friday Frenzy, Inspire Me Please, Craft Frenzy Friday, Anything Goes, Pin Me Linky Party, Pin Worthy Projects, Friday Favorites, Best of The Weekend, Link Party Palooza, Friday Flash, Flaunt It Friday, Family Fun Friday, Frugal Friday, Weekend Bloggy Reading, Saturday Show and TellS, aturday Spotlight, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Saturday Sparks, Saturday Sharefest, Serenity Saturday, Show and Tell Saturday, Get Schooled Saturday, Dare to Share Saturday, Skip The Housework Saturday, Silver Penny Saturday, A Little Bird Told Me